"Victoria's messiness just forces me to grow as a cleaner!”
Barney is grieving his broken engagement the only way he knows how: Bangtoberfest. Which actually ends up being more pathetic than it sounds, with Barney sleeping with aspiring nannies in a pretty transparent effort to get Marshall and Lily's attention. He's not doing so awesome and is acting out as a result. Unfortunately, his extended tantrum costs Lily and Marshall their perfect nanny. (Technically, their second most perfect nanny; they need to be consoled after hearing the salary requirements of their first choice Mrs. Buckminister, a nice old lady with a Mary Poppins accent.) Things escalate until he's literally asking to be stopped.
Barney and Lily are too busy trying to sort out their nanny situation to do more than guilt trip Barney, but he rewards them for their attention with a fully-paid Supernanny. However, it turns out that just the thought of handing over baby Marvin to a stranger turns Lily into a possessive monster. Fortunately, Lily's dad has just burnt down his home in a freak fireworks accident and he's magically really good at caring for children. He was a bad parent for Lily most of her life because he just loved her so much in the beginning that come preschool he just threw common sense overboard. It's like the Louis CK bit where he contemplates killing himself when his youngest daughter turns 18 but… bad.
Meanwhile, in storylines that should die: Ted and Robin are unhappy in their respective relationships. Nick is too emotional while Victoria's a slob. Ugh. I'm bored already.
- Alyson Hannigan has gone through some unfortunate hair colors over the course of this show but this latest shade is beyond enviable.
- Scary Poppins
- Lily handing baby Marvin off with a dirty diaper.
- Marshall's subsequent vow to get revenge.
- Massive props to the show's production office. It's got to be hard to keep track of all the domains that exist in this alternate, three-camera universe: http://heynannynanny.com/
- George and Morgen Jorgenson
- Agreeing to spend New Year's with your boyfriend's parents is stupid--even if a trip to Hawaii is involved.
- I did not like the photo montage into the future. I did like little Martin's curly fro.